No Cover Image

Journal article 112 views

The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of “hedonic motivation” use in UTAUT2 / Kuttimani Tamilmani; Nripendra P. Rana; Naveena Prakasam; Yogesh K. Dwivedi

International Journal of Information Management, Volume: 46, Pages: 222 - 235

Swansea University Author: Prakasam, Naveena

  • Accepted Manuscript under embargo until: 12th August 2020

Abstract

Much of the scholarly debate on the extrinsic-intrinsic motivation dichotomy to date has focused on organisational context. However, the recent upsurge of technology use amongst individuals in non-organisational context has led to consumer-focused research model such as extended unified theory of ac...

Full description

Published in: International Journal of Information Management
ISSN: 02684012
Published: 2019
Online Access: Check full text

URI: https://cronfa.swan.ac.uk/Record/cronfa48180
Tags: Add Tag
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
first_indexed 2019-02-12T20:03:34Z
last_indexed 2019-07-14T15:08:26Z
id cronfa48180
recordtype SURis
fullrecord <?xml version="1.0"?><rfc1807><datestamp>2019-07-14T13:43:13Z</datestamp><bib-version>v2</bib-version><id>48180</id><entry>2019-01-15</entry><title>The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of &#x201C;hedonic motivation&#x201D; use in UTAUT2</title><alternativeTitle></alternativeTitle><author>Naveena Prakasam</author><firstname>Naveena</firstname><surname>Prakasam</surname><active>true</active><ORCID>0000-0001-8903-5338</ORCID><ethesisStudent>false</ethesisStudent><sid>ded9580187bece0ca1970c4ef4bed18f</sid><email>6893a65c945f5d08d00bcf5b96d78294</email><emailaddr>KI4G6Tq6+v/23R8ykFpRc8jwe531u+mO/3IG3xe5jMg=</emailaddr><date>2019-01-15</date><deptcode>BBU</deptcode><abstract>Much of the scholarly debate on the extrinsic-intrinsic motivation dichotomy to date has focused on organisational context. However, the recent upsurge of technology use amongst individuals in non-organisational context has led to consumer-focused research model such as extended unified theory of acceptance and use of technology (UTAUT2). The objective of this study is to bring back much needed focus on motivation dichotomy from the consumer perspective. This involved a systematic review and meta-analysis of hedonic motivation an affective construct in UTAUT2 studies. The findings from 79 UTAUT2 empirical studies revealed that only 46 studies (58%) utilised hedonic motivation while the remaining 33 studies (42%) omitted the construct. Extrinsic motivation was the major driver of non-hedonic and non-significant hedonic motivation studies with individuals using technologies for utilitarian outcomes. Unlike UTAUT2, moderators association of hedonic motivation were non-significant in determining consumer intention to use technology. The findings also revealed an important association between hedonic motivation and effort expectancy, in addition to fruitful directions for research and practice.</abstract><type>Journal article</type><journal>International Journal of Information Management</journal><volume>46</volume><journalNumber/><paginationStart>222</paginationStart><paginationEnd>235</paginationEnd><publisher></publisher><placeOfPublication/><isbnPrint/><isbnElectronic/><issnPrint>02684012</issnPrint><issnElectronic/><keywords>Meta-analysis, hedonic motivation, intrinsic motivation, UTAUT2, citation analysis</keywords><publishedDay>0</publishedDay><publishedMonth>6</publishedMonth><publishedYear>2019</publishedYear><publishedDate>2019-06-01</publishedDate><doi>10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2019.01.008</doi><url></url><notes></notes><college>School of Management</college><department>Business</department><CollegeCode>CBAE</CollegeCode><DepartmentCode>BBU</DepartmentCode><institution/><researchGroup>None</researchGroup><supervisor/><sponsorsfunders/><grantnumber/><degreelevel/><degreename>None</degreename><lastEdited>2019-07-14T13:43:13Z</lastEdited><Created>2019-01-15T13:28:05Z</Created><path><level id="1">School of Management</level><level id="2">Business</level></path><authors><author><firstname>Kuttimani</firstname><surname>Tamilmani</surname><orcid/><order>1</order></author><author><firstname>Nripendra P.</firstname><surname>Rana</surname><orcid/><order>2</order></author><author><firstname>Naveena</firstname><surname>Prakasam</surname><orcid/><order>3</order></author><author><firstname>Yogesh K.</firstname><surname>Dwivedi</surname><orcid/><order>4</order></author></authors><documents><document><filename>Under embargo</filename><originalFilename>Under embargo</originalFilename><uploaded>2019-03-04T10:00:57Z</uploaded><type>Output</type><contentLength>359112</contentLength><contentType>application/pdf</contentType><version>AM</version><cronfaStatus>true</cronfaStatus><action>Published to Cronfa</action><actionDate>04/03/2019</actionDate><embargoDate>2020-08-12T00:00:00</embargoDate><documentNotes>Released under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC-BY-NC-ND).</documentNotes><copyrightCorrect>true</copyrightCorrect><language>eng</language></document></documents></rfc1807>
spelling 2019-07-14T13:43:13Z v2 48180 2019-01-15 The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of “hedonic motivation” use in UTAUT2 Naveena Prakasam Naveena Prakasam true 0000-0001-8903-5338 false ded9580187bece0ca1970c4ef4bed18f 6893a65c945f5d08d00bcf5b96d78294 KI4G6Tq6+v/23R8ykFpRc8jwe531u+mO/3IG3xe5jMg= 2019-01-15 BBU Much of the scholarly debate on the extrinsic-intrinsic motivation dichotomy to date has focused on organisational context. However, the recent upsurge of technology use amongst individuals in non-organisational context has led to consumer-focused research model such as extended unified theory of acceptance and use of technology (UTAUT2). The objective of this study is to bring back much needed focus on motivation dichotomy from the consumer perspective. This involved a systematic review and meta-analysis of hedonic motivation an affective construct in UTAUT2 studies. The findings from 79 UTAUT2 empirical studies revealed that only 46 studies (58%) utilised hedonic motivation while the remaining 33 studies (42%) omitted the construct. Extrinsic motivation was the major driver of non-hedonic and non-significant hedonic motivation studies with individuals using technologies for utilitarian outcomes. Unlike UTAUT2, moderators association of hedonic motivation were non-significant in determining consumer intention to use technology. The findings also revealed an important association between hedonic motivation and effort expectancy, in addition to fruitful directions for research and practice. Journal article International Journal of Information Management 46 222 235 02684012 Meta-analysis, hedonic motivation, intrinsic motivation, UTAUT2, citation analysis 0 6 2019 2019-06-01 10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2019.01.008 School of Management Business CBAE BBU None None 2019-07-14T13:43:13Z 2019-01-15T13:28:05Z School of Management Business Kuttimani Tamilmani 1 Nripendra P. Rana 2 Naveena Prakasam 3 Yogesh K. Dwivedi 4 Under embargo Under embargo 2019-03-04T10:00:57Z Output 359112 application/pdf AM true Published to Cronfa 04/03/2019 2020-08-12T00:00:00 Released under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC-BY-NC-ND). true eng
title The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of “hedonic motivation” use in UTAUT2
spellingShingle The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of “hedonic motivation” use in UTAUT2
Prakasam, Naveena
title_short The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of “hedonic motivation” use in UTAUT2
title_full The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of “hedonic motivation” use in UTAUT2
title_fullStr The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of “hedonic motivation” use in UTAUT2
title_full_unstemmed The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of “hedonic motivation” use in UTAUT2
title_sort The battle of Brain vs. Heart: A literature review and meta-analysis of “hedonic motivation” use in UTAUT2
author_id_str_mv ded9580187bece0ca1970c4ef4bed18f
author_id_fullname_str_mv ded9580187bece0ca1970c4ef4bed18f_***_Prakasam, Naveena
author Prakasam, Naveena
author2 Kuttimani Tamilmani
Nripendra P. Rana
Naveena Prakasam
Yogesh K. Dwivedi
format Journal article
container_title International Journal of Information Management
container_volume 46
container_start_page 222
publishDate 2019
institution Swansea University
issn 02684012
doi_str_mv 10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2019.01.008
college_str School of Management
hierarchytype
hierarchy_top_id schoolofmanagement
hierarchy_top_title School of Management
hierarchy_parent_id schoolofmanagement
hierarchy_parent_title School of Management
department_str Business{{{_:::_}}}School of Management{{{_:::_}}}Business
document_store_str 0
active_str 1
description Much of the scholarly debate on the extrinsic-intrinsic motivation dichotomy to date has focused on organisational context. However, the recent upsurge of technology use amongst individuals in non-organisational context has led to consumer-focused research model such as extended unified theory of acceptance and use of technology (UTAUT2). The objective of this study is to bring back much needed focus on motivation dichotomy from the consumer perspective. This involved a systematic review and meta-analysis of hedonic motivation an affective construct in UTAUT2 studies. The findings from 79 UTAUT2 empirical studies revealed that only 46 studies (58%) utilised hedonic motivation while the remaining 33 studies (42%) omitted the construct. Extrinsic motivation was the major driver of non-hedonic and non-significant hedonic motivation studies with individuals using technologies for utilitarian outcomes. Unlike UTAUT2, moderators association of hedonic motivation were non-significant in determining consumer intention to use technology. The findings also revealed an important association between hedonic motivation and effort expectancy, in addition to fruitful directions for research and practice.
published_date 2019-06-01T05:14:32Z
_version_ 1647974833734025216
score 10.867005